Once you have completed the pre-licensing coursework and requirements you can apply for a license. Please visit https://core.tn.gov
If you've never created an Account, you will need to create an account before you see the option to Apply.
There are Video Tutorials to assist with creating an account.
Step 1: FG Exam Application
Fundamentals of Geology (FG) Exam Requirements:
This form is designed for applicants who wish to take the Fundamentals of Geology (FG) examination before acquiring the professional geologic work experience required for licensure.
1. Application (PDF)
- List 30-45 hours of qualifying credits
3. Official Transcripts
- Demonstrate completion of those credits
Step 2: PG Exam Application
Professional Geologist (PG) Exam Requirements:
To be eligible for a certificate of licensure as a professional geologist, an applicant shall:
(1) Be a graduate of an accredited college or university, with successful completion of a minimum of 30 semester or 45 quarter hours of course work in geology, geophysics, geochemistry, engineering geology or their subdivisions.
(2) Have 5 years of geological education and professional experience. Any combination of the following kinds of education and experience qualify toward accumulating the required 5 years.
(3) Has successfully passed any examination developed or determined by the department to assess adequately the knowledge and skills common to the competent practice of geology as a profession.
1. Application (PDF of CORE)
2. Supporting Documents/Requirements:
i. Certified transcripts per TCA 62-36-108
ii. Course Reporting Forms
The course reporting form must be filled out with the courses listed (taken from your transcripts) for which you want credit.
iii. Employment Verification Form
iv. Provide proof to the board of five years’ work experience (three years with a master's degree) per TCA 2-36-109(2)(A).
v. Out of State Verification (If Applicable)
All reciprocal applicants must request that an Out of State Verification of Licensure/Examination form be completed and returned directly to the Tennessee board by the reciprocal state.
vi. Completed sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations form
3. Fee, $115.00