Types of Licenses

Christine Marotteck -

Please see the types of licenses offered below and what they cover.

  • Contractor: Required for projects over $25,000. This includes the bidding, offering to engage, or negotiating of a price when acting as one of the following:
    • Prime (General) Contractor: Bidding or contracting directly with the owner of the project.
    • Subcontractor: Contracting directly with any contractor (not the owner) to perform projects when the total cost of that portion of the project is $25,000 or more for the following: 
      • Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, HVAC, and *Roofing (includes all materials, equipment, and labor)
      • Masonry when $100,000 or more.
    • Construction Management: When the value of the total project is $25,000 or more.
  • Home Improvement: Required for projects from $3,000 to $24,999.
    • Not all counties require a Home Improvement license. The counties that do require one are as followed: Bradley, Davidson, Hamilton, Haywood, Knox, Marion, Robertson, Rutherford, and Shelby. 
  • Limited Licensed Electrician (LLE): Required for jobs less than $25,000 and is based on municipality. 
  • Limited Licensed Plumber: Required for jobs less than $25,000 and is based on municipality. 
  • Course Providers: Required for schools offering exam prep courses.  
  • HVAC: Required for projects less than $25,000. Be sure to check with local government as an LLE license may be required. 

Please see the Contractor's Online Resources for more information regarding each license. 


*Effective July 1, 2014: Roofing subcontractors must be licensed as a contractor, in addition to performing work currently as a prime contractor for projects $25,000 or more. 

Contact an agent. Submit a request