Yes. States in which the licensee has substantially met the qualifications for licensing in Tennessee may be eligible to receive a reciprocal license in Tennessee. Reciprocal Cosmetology and Barber applicants will need to follow the steps below to obtain a Tennessee license:
1. Request a License Certification History from every state where you have held a license.
2. CORE Application, "Initial Out of State ______________"
1. Photo ID
2. Proof of Work Experience (If applicable)
- If you originally received less hours in school than our state requires, you will need to submit to us documentation showing;
a. practicing as a licensee for at least 1 of the last 3 years, or
b. practicing as a licensee for at least 3 of the last 5 years.
- The board will accept as proof (i.e. sworn affidavit, tax returns, letter from employer, etc.).
3. Transcript of Education Hours (Not required for GA applicants)
ii. Fee, $100
NOTE: Reciprocity with the TN state board is not a uniform process. Every application is judged on a case-by-case basis.
Click on the links for more information regarding COSMETOLOGY RECIPROCITY REQUIREMENTS AND INSTRUCTIONS and BARBER RECIPROCITY REQUIREMENTS AND INSTRUCTIONS.