How do I become a registered Explosives Blaster/ Limited Blaster?

Jason S -
  1. Apply online at CORE or mail a completed application together with a check or money order made payable to the Department of Commerce and Insurance.
  2. The application must be completed in its entirety. A registration will not be issued without a completed application on file.
  3. The applicant must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
  4. The applicant must understand, speak and write the English language.
  5. Provide proof of having obtained one (1) year of previous practical experience under the supervision of a registered, experienced blaster by having the blaster fill out and sign a Blaster/Limited Blaster Experience Verification Alternately, a Tennessee handler's or blaster's registration, or a blaster's license issued by another state or jurisdiction; provided, the applicant for registration based on possession of a blaster's license issued by another state or jurisdiction has possessed the licensure for at least one (1) year prior to applying for licensure in this state.
  6. Submit a copy of the applicant’s Tennessee handler’s registration if applicable.
  7. Schedule, take and pass a written examination after the application is reviewed by this office. Each blaster applicant must pass the exam. An applicant who fails an examination may retake the examination thirty (30) days after the original test date without paying another application fee. An applicant who fails the examination twice shall reapply and pay the required application fee.
  8. Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, a registered blaster or limited blaster who is not a full time employee of a registered firm shall have a current liability insurance policy that includes blasting coverage, in the minimum amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000), during all blasting operations for the use and benefit of any person who may be aggrieved by a wrongful act or omission of the blaster.
  9. If you are not an employee of a registered blasting firm, an explosives firm application and fee must be submitted with a certificate of liability insurance in the amount of one million dollars ($1,000,000.00). The insurance company must complete and sign the Certificate of Insurance and the words “Includes blasting/explosives” must appear on the certificate. The “State of Tennessee, Department of Commerce and Insurance, Permits and Licenses Unit”, at the above address, must be listed as the certificate holder. This certificate must be forwarded to this office.
Contact an agent. Submit a request