Are you or your spouse military personnel?

Jason S -

If you or your spouse is a member of the armed forces of the United States, then you may be exempt from licensure with the Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance Regulatory Boards Division (“Division”).  The Division will offer an exemption from licensure, certification, or permit for any person stationed in Tennessee as an active member of the United States Armed Forces, Reserve, or Tennessee National Guard unit or their spouse.

To qualify for exemption, the eligible person must:

  1. Hold a valid license in the regulated profession issued by another state with reasonably similar standards for licensure. The valid license must be in good standing.
  2. Agree to subject themselves to the jurisdiction of the Division concerning harms or violations of the laws and rules; and
  3. Register with the Division

An eligible person must apply for licensure, certification or permit with the Division either (1) prior to expiration in the state where they hold a valid license, or (2) one year after their registration for exemption in Tennessee, whichever occurs first.

To register for an exemption, log into or create an account at Select "Apply" from the Quick Actions menu and search for "Armed Forces" in the search bar. Then locate the type of license associated with your profession and select "Apply". Be sure to attach a copy of your active duty orders and a certificate of good standing for your out-of-state license. 

Further, you may also be eligible to receive credit for military education, training or experience that is substantially similar to Tennessee’s requirements for licensure, certification or permit.

You may view a program’s laws and rules by visiting our website at and selecting the appropriate program.  

This information is only an overview and not legal advice. It is very important that you read the entire public chapters which can be found at:

Please contact the Division at or 615-741-3449 with any questions regarding your application or renewal.  



Contact an agent. Submit a request