A complaint has been filed against me. How do I respond to it?

Kristen -

You may submit your response online by visiting https://www.tn.gov/commerce/contact-us/online-complaint-response-form.html. This online form is submitted instantly and will allow you to attach any applicable documentation or supporting correspondence relevant to the complaint allegations.

NOTE: If your program is not listed, please call (615) 741-2241.

If you would rather, you may submit your response by email to rb.complaints@tn.gov. Please be sure to reference the complaint number when submitting a response using this option.

Contact an agent. Submit a request